The last thing anyone needs is to have their furnace give up the fight, especially in the middle of a cold-snap. But sometimes, that old friend Murphy shows up and shows us that his law was created for a reason.
Here are 5 hints that it’s time to replace your furnace:
- It’s just old. Furnaces are not made to last forever, most furnace’s life span is about 15 years. Most older furnaces are only running at 65% efficiency anyway, so it’s just draining your wallet every month.
- Frequent repairs. Not counting the normal maintenance costs (filter replacement & cleaning), furnaces shouldn’t need constant service work. If your furnace is seeing the doctor more than you are, then it’s time to update.
- Heating bills on the rise. Energy costs can fluctuate, depending on the cost of gas, propane & electricity, but if you are noticing a steady rise in your energy bills, it could be your worn-out furnace. Most energy companies can perform an energy audit, which can help you pin-point energy draining appliances. Don’t forget that upgrading to a high efficiency furnace can mean tax credits.
- Noisy furnace. If you notice that your furnace is starting to sound like it’s ready to take-off, that’s an indication that your furnace might need to be replaced. Today’s high-efficiency furnace are not only more efficient, they are much quieter than older units.
- It just doesn’t stay as warm as it should. If you notice that you are bumping up your thermostat or that it doesn’t get as warm as it used to, this could be a sign that your furnace is wearing down and just can’t handle the workload anymore.
If it is time to replace your furnace, do your homework. Get a couple of different quotes and always try to get a load-calc done on your home to make sure that your system is designed as efficiently as possible.